Difference Between Hair Shedding and Hair Loss

Excessive hair shedding and hair loss might sound like the same thing, but in fact, they are not. If you are concerned about women’s hair loss in Hauppauge, visit an experienced hair loss clinic for a consultation. Advanced Robotic Hair Restoration Centers can help you know if your problem is temporary (hair shedding) or permanent (hair loss). Give your appearance a new lease of life by procuring hair restoration.

Understanding Telogen Effluvium

At any given time, 80-90% of hair follicles on your scalp are in the anagen phase. During this stage, your hair is actively growing. The remaining 10% of your hair follicles are in the telogen phase (resting period). Once your hair follicles are past the telogen phase, they shed hair and go back to the anagen phase. Your follicles shed up to 100 pieces of hair daily. Telogen effluvium is a condition where there is significant hair shedding. This is mostly temporary and does not require treatment. Among the reasons for excessive hair shedding include stress, illness, or surgery. Other causes of telogen effluvium include childbirth and stopping to use birth control pills; your hair starts to shed soon after these events. 

Diagnosing Anagen Effluvium

Anagen effluvium is a temporary condition where your hair registers no growth. You can experience a significant loss of hair when going through chemotherapy. Other common causes of hair loss include scalp infections, hormonal imbalances, use of certain medications and skin disorders. Your hair may gradually grow back once you are in remission but you might, however, require medication for hair loss if there are underlying causes such as genetic predisposition including female pattern baldness.

Dealing With Hair Loss: FUE and FUT

Is your hair losing its density? You might experience hair thinning and loss on your head and in other areas of the body including eyebrows. Hair loss can make you look older than your actual age and can lower your self-esteem and confidence. If this defines your experience, Advanced Robotic Hair Restoration Centers can help save your hair. Your doctor will use follicular unit extraction (FUE) to remove healthy hair follicles and transplant them in areas affected by hair thinning. FUE lowers scarring in the donor site, reduces postoperative discomfort, and minimizes the risk of complications since each follicle is individually removed. Alternatively, large strips of hair can be removed from your scalp and then be propagated into recipient sites. Hair restoration can help you regain a fuller and thicker head of hair regardless of your age and genetic predisposition. Your doctor will advise you on the advantages and disadvantages of each of these methods during your consultation. 

Enhancing FUE and FUT Results

If you are interested in FUE and FUT procedures, platelet-rich plasma for hair loss can be integrated to enhance treatment results.  PRP promotes the growth of new hair and improves transplantation retention rates. There is hope if your scalp is becoming exposed due to hair shedding or loss.  Visit your doctor to learn more about hair restoration. 

News Reporter