If you were injured because of someone’s negligence or disregard for safety, you may have the scope to file a personal injury lawsuit. Georgia is a fault state, so the negligent party must pay compensation to the victim. To maximize your settlement, you need to hire an Atlanta personal injury attorney. Not all attorneys and law firms are the same, and it makes sense to do some initial homework. In this post, we are sharing key tips for hiring an injury attorney.
- Ask for a free consultation. Majority of injury attorneys in Atlanta will be happy to offer a free initial session, where you get to discuss your case. No matter whether yours is a car accident lawsuit, or a slip & fall accident, the first meeting with a lawyer is the most important one.
- Don’t pay upfront. When it comes to personal injury cases, lawyers usually work on a contingency basis. What does that mean? The attorney will ask for a contingency fee, only if they win, and the fee is typically no more than 40% of the final settlement. Steer clear of lawyers who ask for a fee right away.
- Know your lawyer. It is equally important to know an attorney before you hire them. Has the lawyer worked on cases similar to yours? How may years of experience do they have as a personal injury attorney? What are some of their landmark cases? These are some of the questions you need to ask.
- Don’t hire a jack of all trades. You cannot hire a generic lawyer and expect to get the best settlement. Someone who helped with your rental agreement, or drafting a few legal documents, will never have the experience or expertise of a personal injury attorney.
- Communication matters. When you meet an attorney for the first time, ask them how they are going to maintain communication with you. At the end of the day, you should be able to contact your attorney, as and when needed.
Finally, ask the attorney if they are going to handle your personal injury lawsuit. A team of attorneys may work for the same law firm, and ultimately, someone else can be assigned to the case. To compare the best lawyers in Atlanta, check online reviews, and if needed, you can ask for references too. Your attorney can make a big difference to the eventual outcome of your personal injury claim.