If you have been suffering from a chronic runny nose and congestion, clarifix can help you manage your symptoms. Normally, this condition is addressed through medications, but Broward Specialty Group’s medical experts’ team offers clarifix in Coconut Creek, for symptoms of a runny nose with or without congestion persists after alternative treatments.
What is Clarifix?
This is a less invasive procedure that has been clinically proven to manage chronic runny nose through cryotherapy. It involves a hand-held device with a cryotherapy balloon being endoscopically placed in your nose to freeze the area accountable for the exasperating nasal symptoms. It gets to the depth of your problem to give you relief. Consequently, you don’t have to keep on relying on nasal or oral medications solely.
Traditionally, a surgical procedure used to manage a chronic runny nose’s symptoms involves cutting the vidian nerve. This is the nerve governing the nasal mucus production located at the back wall of your nose. However, this method has potentially significant side effects; it is technically difficult to perform. Besides, the symptoms can also persist after this procedure. Therefore, clarifix is a more suitable option as it only addresses the small posterior nasal nerves and has fewer side effects than vidian neurectomy.
Being a Candidate for Clarifix
Although this is an effective option to manage chronic runny nose symptoms, it is not suitable for everyone. For you to qualify for clarifix, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are above the age of 18
- You have tried conservative options such as medications and still suffer an interactable runny nose, or you desire to limit the number of medications you are taking.
- You are not under any blood thinner.
- You don’t have any significant anatomic nasal deformities.
- You are not suffering from neuropathic conditions, paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria, Raynaud’s disease, cold urticaria, cryoglobulinemia, or recurrent nosebleeds.
Advantages of Clarifix
As noted before, clarifix is a more appropriate treatment option than traditional options and other conservative options when managing chronic runny nose. This is due to the following reasons:
- The procedure is technically easy to perform compared to other options such as vidian neurectomy.
- Potential side effects are only minor.
- It is an in-office procedure and is performed only under local anesthesia.
- The pain you experience can be typically be managed with ibuprofen and Tylenol
- You can experience complete healing within four weeks.
The Clarifix Device
This is a device composed of two essential parts: the cryogen chamber and the cryoprobe. The cryogen chamber contains liquid nitrogen, which is used as the freezer. The cryoprobe is inserted in your nose to administer the liquid nitrogen and is also responsible for posterior nasal nerves ablation. Note that though the nerves are ablated with the freezing agent, clarifix preserves the blood vessels.
After the clarifix procedure, aftercare instructions are straightforward. For example, ibuprofen and Tylenol are to be used to control pain. You can be required to perform saline flushes to your nose four times a day for up to 4 weeks or until the crusting that develops during the healing process is fully resolved.
There is no doubt that clarifix can help you manage the symptoms of a chronic runny nose. All you have is to speak to your provider at Broward Specialty Group and get more information about this treatment option.